- 1 cup unsalted butter (room temperature)
- 1/2 cup pure honey (I prefer sage honey due to its mild flavor)
- 1 1/3 cup unsweetened organic applesauce (room temperature)
- 10 eggs (room temperature) P.S. This is not a typo it really is 10 eggs!
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 2 cups organic coconut flour
- 1 cup fair-trade unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp aluminum-free baking powder
- 1 tsp sea salt
- 1 1/3 cups whole raw milk (or coconut milk)
Chocolate Cream Frosting
- 1 cup raw cream
- 1/2 cup organic *cultured cream cheese
- 1/2 cup raw honey (I prefer sage honey due to its mild flavor)
- 2 tbsp, plus 1 tsp fair-trade unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 tsp pure vanilla
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Line a muffin tin with paper muffin liners.
- In a very large, deep bowl, combine the butter and honey, using an electric mixer. Add the applesauce and mix until well blended. Add the eggs one at a time, mixing each one in before adding the next. Then beat the batter at high speed for 2-3 minutes. Finally, mix in the vanilla.
- In a separate bowl, combine the dry ingredients together until well blended. Then, take turns adding the dry ingredients and the milk to the batter, until all ingredients are incorporated. Finally, beat the batter for about 4-5 minutes on high speed. Batter will be thick, creamy and whipped in appearance.
- Spoon batter into muffin cups and bake for about 22-25 minutes. If using all of the batter, the yield is about 24 cupcakes.
- While cupcakes are baking, make chocolate cream frosting. Using an electric mixer, whip cream at high speed until soft peaks form. In a separate bowl, beat cream cheese, honey, cocoa powder and vanilla extract until smooth and creamy. Gently fold cream cheese mixture into whipped cream. Store in refrigerator until ready to spread on cupcakes.
- After cupcakes have cooled, top with chocolate cream frosting. Enjoy!