By Frank Dorr
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 medium carrot, medium dice (about 1/2 cup)
- 1 medium stalk celery, sliced (about 1/2 cup)
- 2 medium cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tsp ground turmeric
- 4 cups low-sodium vegetable broth
- 1 (15-ounce) can chickpeas, drained and rinsed
- 1 cup cooked Sorghum
- 1/4 tsp ground black pepper + more to taste
- 1/4 cup freshly chopped dill
- Juice of 1 lemon (about 2 tablespoons freshly squeezed lemon juice)
- Set a medium soup pot over low heat. Add olive oil, leeks, carrots, and celery. Cook, stirring occasionally, until veggies are tender, about 10 minutes.
- Add garlic and turmeric and cook, stirring frequently, for one more minute.
- Add the vegetable broth, chickpeas, orzo, 1/2 teaspoon salt, and 1/4 teaspoon black pepper. Stir to combine. Increase heat to medium-high and bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer, stirring frequently, until the orzo is tender, about 5 minutes.
- Remove from heat. Squeeze in the lemon juice and stir in the dill. Taste and add additional salt and pepper if desired (I add at least another 1/4-1/2 teaspoon salt, but I like things on the salty side.)
- Serve with additional dill as garnish.