By Frank Dorr
- 1 tbsp oil
- 1 onion, diced
- 2 jalapeno peppers, diced
- 3 cloves garlic, chopped
- 1 tsp cumin, toasted and ground
- 3 cups chicken broth or chicken stock
- 1 cup salsa verde
- 1 pound boneless and skinless chicken breasts or thighs
- 1 (15 ounce) can white beans
- 1/2 cup quinoa, rinsed
- 1/2 tsp oregano
- 1 tbsp lime juice (~1/2 lime)
- 2 tbsp cilantro, chopped
- salt and pepper to taste
- Heat the oil in a large sauce pan over medium heat, add the onion and jalapeno peppers and cook until tender, about 5-7 minutes.
- Add the garlic and cumin and cook until fragrant, about a minute.
- Add the broth, salsa verde, chicken, beans, quinoa and oregano, bring to a boil, reduce the heat and simmer until the chicken is cooked and the quinoa is tender, about 10-15 minutes.
- Remove the chicken, shred or dice, return to soup along with the lime juice and cilantro, season with salt and pepper and remove from heat.
Slow Cooker: Optionally implement steps 1 & 2, place everything except the lime juice and cilantro in the slow cooker and cook on for 3 hours on high.
Option: Add 1 cup zucchini along with the chicken.
Option: Add 1 cup corn 5 minutes before taking off the heat.
Option: Replace the jalapeno peppers with poblano peppers or  4.5 ounce can of diced green chilies.